immigration lawyerTemporary visas give foreign citizens the ability to enter the United States for work, tourism, or to study. In order to apply for a temporary visa, applicants must fill out the appropriate applications and schedule an interview at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate.


If you require assistance with temporary visas, the Perales Law Firm can help. We understand the needs of our clients as well as the struggles they face. With temporary visas, foreigners are able to enrich their lives by legally entering and working or studying in the United States.

The Different Types of Temporary Visas

Temporary, nonimmigrant visas differ from immigrant visas since the latter is for permanent residence while the former is for individuals who only plan on staying in the United States for a short period of time. Temporary visas come in many varieties so it’s necessary for applicants to understand which one’s the right choice for their particular needs.


Visitor visas are nonimmigrant visas for those looking to enter the United States on a temporary term for business or tourism (or a combination of the two). Business visitors must apply for the B-1 Nonimmigrant visa (Business visitors) while tourists must apply for the B-2 Nonimmigrant visa (Visitors for pleasure or medical treatment). As such, those who plan on visiting the United States in order to study must apply for the F-1 (academic or language students), F-3 (citizens or residents of Mexico or Canada who commute to the United States to attend an academic school), or J-1 (exchange visitor).

How Can I Get One?

The confusing nature of temporary visas can be quelled with the help of an immigration lawyer. The Perales Law Firm was established in order to provide legal aid and counsel to individuals in the Border region. As a bilingual law firm, we’re able to communicate with clients from Mexico who require assistance when filing for temporary visas. Finding the right temporary visa depends on your particular needs. With our help, you’ll be able to apply for the right temporary visa and your professional, academic, or any other needs will be met!

The Process of Applying for a Visa

Let’s say you need a temporary work visa in order to work in the United States, in order to achieve this, your employer (or prospective employer) must first obtain a labor certification from the Department of Labor on your behalf. Before you apply, your employer must file a “Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker, Form I-129” on your behalf. Once the petition is approved by the USCIS, you’ll be able to apply for your visa. Although there are several steps to the application, you will generally have to complete an online nonimmigrant visa application, form DS-160. You will also be required to upload a photo of yourself while completing the online form. Once completed, you will print the application form confirmation page so you can bring it with you to your visa interview, which takes place at U.S. Embassies or Consulates. Once the visa is approved, it will take some time for the visa to process and be ready for delivery.

Contact the Perales Law Firm Today!

The process of obtaining a temporary visa may seem time-consuming and long winded but, with the help of an experienced immigration lawyer, you’ll be able to concisely accomplish the application process. Temporary visas can be used for a variety of reasons. As such, it’s necessary for applicants to be aware of the do’s and don’ts of applying. Let us provide guidance and assistance. Before long, you’ll be able to enter the United States!